Ok. So, as you’ll learn here on ReadHead, there are a few things that I see as non-negotiable. One is washing your face every night. Two is never, and I repeat never, using those prepackaged makeup towels on your face. ::shudders at the thought:: When I had heard that someone I love dearly regularly used baby wipes – on her face – I think I almost dropped to my knees in defeat with the thought it is true that all is not right in this world.
For those of us with fair, reactive and sensitive skin, makeup wipes are bad news. Let’s discuss why.
- No matter how much you rub, you’re never getting all the gunk off your face.
- Rubbing is exfoliation. Even with “made for sensitive skin” and ultra soft cloths, this is still friction on your face which can cause irritation, broken capillaries and redness.
- Many of these are very high in things that cause reactions – fragrance, alcohol and irritants.
Here is an ingredient list for a well-known brand:
Water, SD Alcohol 40B, Butylene Glycol, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativa (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Salicylic Acid, Cocamidoprophyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, PEG/PPG 20/6 Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, C12 15 Alkyl Lactate, Disodium EDTA, Menthol, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzalkonium Chloride, Fragrance
Thoughts from ReadHead
While sometimes you got to do what you got to do, check out the other alternatives to the harsh wipes.
- Make it a point to wash your face every night. I was told by some French woman with amazing skin that for every night you don’t wash your face you age seven days. That’s all the motivation I needed.
- Micellar waters are big with many brands like Garnier and Simple launching their own.
- Pre-wash makeup removers, like my favorite from Klorane are fantastic. And, you can use a gentler face wash.
Have a favorite night time routine? Drop us a line in the comments.
5 thoughts on “The day baby wipes almost defeated me.”
Totally agree. I have to wash my face every night! When I use wipes it’s in addition to a light cleansing, otherwise it feels grimy.
LikeLiked by 1 person
That’s a great step to clear and refreshed skin! Thanks for the comments, Jess and thanks for reading ReadHead.
Thanks to you I haven’t used a baby wipe on my face since the day your jaw dropped after I disclosed my face washing secret to you. Your reaction was all the motivation I needed to find another routine. Haha sadly I admit I was going for quick and easy, not thinking about what it could be doing to my skin. My poor face. Thanks my dear for steering me in the right direction before it was too late 😘
Jules, let’s just say I’m so glad we got you on board with a gentler option. And if anything, just know you were the inspiration for one of my first blog posts. xoxo – Stacie ReadHead